Friday, February 25

LSK 951



20 years ago, I bought my first Harley-Davidson, this 1962 XLCH.

It was a terrible introduction to the world of American V-Twins. A bitch to start, with totally inadequate brakes for its fearsome performance (once you were rolling, which was usually after many, many minutes of kicking and swearing).

Really wish I had it now though. This is exactly how I bought it (for £2k) from the guy who'd imported the bike. Its mild custom makeover (done in Kansas) was obviously drag-inspired, and with a different seat I reckon this could still be a good looking Sporty.

I sorted out its UK registration and hand-drew the number plate, then sold it after about six months to a local bloke in north London who I think took it touring around Ireland (brave man).

Anyone know where LSK 951 is now?

11 comments:

Pete Stansfield said...

I like that a lot.

23bricks said...

me to - when my purple period 883 grows up it will be like that

jimmy monk said...

Nice,
I like the seat.
And the bit bigger headlamp.
Super clean,

Benny said...

liking that lots too.

Steve has just bought himself a 68, it's about time he stopped faffing around with them girly Triumphs.

23bricks said...

I heard every XLCH in 68 was factory blueprinted. Nice score Steve.

Pete Stansfield said...

I heard they were all shit, Steve buy another Triumph.

KNUCKLE BUSTER 1939 said...

Guy, That was the Perfect introduction to American V-Twins!

Guy@GK said...

Yeah Jeff, as I wrote the post I thought the same. It actually gave me a good taste of what was to come in the years ahead!

tiptopdadddy said...

Great looking bike. My Sporty build will be very close to this but with extra brakes. How did you like those forward controls? I havent decided yet.

Guy@GK said...

E, 'extra brakes'? Sounds ominous... nothing looks better than original Sporty drums. Just make 'em work!!

THE ORIGINAL SHARPEYE STYLE said...

You can buy my 1966 xlch, it very reliable & consistent, never fails to not start!